Information about the Netherlands
- Area: 41,526 km² (land 33,883 km², water 7,643 km²)
- Population: 16,318,199 (July 2004)
- Capital: Amsterdam; The Hague is the seat of the government
- Language: Dutch
- Religion: Roman Catholic 31%, Protestant 21%, Muslim 4.4%, other 3.6%, unaffiliated 40% (1998)
- Climate: temperate, marine with cool summers and mild winters
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1hr (Central European Time)
- Currency: Euro [EUR]
The Netherlands are in Western Europe, bordering the North Sea, between Belgium and Germany.
The Netherlands' territory is mostly coastal lowland and reclaimed land (polders), with some hills in the southeast.
With a total of 1,027 km land boundaries, The Netherlands share borders with
Belgium (450 km) and
Germany (577 km). The Netherlands' coastline to the North Sea extends over 451 km.
The Netherlands consist of twelve provinces (Drenthe, Flevoland, Friesland, Gelderland, Groningen, Limburg, Noord-Brabant, Noord-Holland, Overijssel, Utrecht, Zeeland, Zuid-Holland) and two dependent areas (Aruba, Netherlands Antilles).